Variable green toner

Any errors or omissions you come across in the Darkroom Cookbook.
Maxdellacqua

Variable green toner

Post by Maxdellacqua »

I have a question about the variable green toner appearing in the cookbook up to the 3rd edition.
Quantities are really small (60.0 ml water) and no dilution guidelines are provided. How should we apply the formula? As is (no dilution, but quantities are really strange)?
Moreover, do you know a formula for a green toner using vanadium oxide (cheaper than chloride)?
sanchell

Re: Variable green toner

Post by sanchell »

I apologize for the lateness of this response.

GT-16 is a formula that I was given by a photographer, Helen (can't remember her last name), some many years ago.

You mention that the amount of water is 60.0 ml. In the DCB I see 285 ml for each of the three solutions. The instructions say to mix the three solutions, which would give a working solution of 855 ml. I'm not certain I understand your question.
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell
Maxdellacqua

Post by Maxdellacqua »

Thank you for answering, Steve.
Actually, I am not talking about GT-16.
If you see the attachment, I refer to formula #155, reported in the 2nd edition.
BTW, why did you drop it in the 4th ed.?
Attachments
variable green toner.jpg
variable green toner.jpg (62.59 KiB) Viewed 16049 times
sanchell

Post by sanchell »

Can't recall why I dropped it. However, if you have used it, what were your results?

Also, I would toss the second ed. It has a lot of serious errors that were mostly addressed in the third ed. and pretty much fixed in the 4th. I am currently working on the 5th ed., which will substantially differ from the first four, including a section on testing VC paper grades, solarization, and more.
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell
Maxdellacqua

Post by Maxdellacqua »

Excellent news, Steve.
No I did not use it: quantites looked so strange!
I hope to see it back and reviewed in the 5th ed., may be with a recipe using vanadium oxide, instead?
sanchell

Post by sanchell »

Thank you, Max
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell