Aristo cold light head

Share your black and white print making knowledge or ask for advice.

Moderator: Black & White Moderators

seldomseensmith

Aristo cold light head

Post by seldomseensmith »

I recently purchased an Aristo D-57 cold light head to be used with my Durst L138S enlarger. I've never used a cold light head before, so I have some questions for someone with some experience with this kind of printing. First of all, is it better for me to used graded paper vs. variable contrast paper? Also, is it essential for me to have a stabilizer to go with this cold light head? I don't have one, but I live alone in my house, so there isn't much fluctuation in the use of electricity. Also, how long should I let the thermo unit heat up before I use this head? I've heard anywhere from no time to 15 minutes. Besides these questions, if you have any other tips and tricks about using an Aristo cold light head, I would appreciate it. I'm planning on mainly printing panoramic medium format negatives from a Linhof Technorama 617s III camera. Thank you!

tim.bowman

Re: Aristo cold light head

Post by tim.bowman »

I won't pretend to be an expert here, but I have used a cold-light adapted Omega D2 for a while. I never owned a stabilizer and didn't see a need for one in my printing. I have used both graded paper and variable-contrast and both work fine.

My thermo unit switch doesn't have an indicator light on it, so sometimes I print without remembering to turn it on. Things seem to turn out okay without it. That said, I print slowly and keep my exposures around 20 seconds, so I do't think I'm building up much heat. With the thermo unit on, you can feel when the unit is "warmed up" by touching it. Mine doesn't get very warm, just pleasantly so. I imagine 15 minutes would be plenty of time.

seldomseensmith

Re: Aristo cold light head

Post by seldomseensmith »

Thanks for the helpful information.