Rapid fix, white precipitate-is this fix good?-is this sulfurization?

Questions on fixers for both film and paper

Moderator: Black & White Moderators

darkroommike

Post by darkroommike »

One of my friends on Facebook posted a question about Kodafix (liquid fix concentrate with incorporated hardener) which has generated a thread about white precips and off smells in rapid fixer concentrate. I took the more conservative view, that if there is an off smell (either hydrogen sulfide or sulfur dioxide) and/or a whitish precipitation, that the safer bet is to not use it. Someone else jumped in and said that rapid fixer concentrate never goes bad, based on his 55 years working in a darkroom, "blah, blah, blah, blah" (I feel like such a youngster since I've only been processing film 45 years).

So what's the consensus: white precipitate
  • good
  • bad
  • doesn't matter
  • shut up, Mike, so I can get back in the darkroom!
JB Harlin

Post by JB Harlin »

Hi Mike. . . Personally, I would toss any mixture that is not its usual color or consistency. I had an un-mixed Kodak Rapid Fixer, 1Gallon size, that I had kept on the shelf for a year that turned cloudy. It had a surfer odor and that spells (smells) bad to me. I tossed it without hesitation. That was the only time that has ever happened in over 40 years myself, so go figure????

Again, I would toss any chemical that is in any way questionable. For me, at least, it is not worth the risk.