Acufine / Tri-x - 1 stop push dev time?

Discuss all aspects of B&W Film.

Moderator: Black & White Moderators

neal.niemiec

Post by neal.niemiec »

I'm surprised to see no dev time for +1 push (800) w. Acufine published on Digital Truth. (400 = 3 minutes /1600 = 10 min) What is the rule/math for increasing developing time for this developer for a +1 push? Any additional input/experience to share on Acufine is certainly welcome. I'm doing a bunch of testing & vs. my go-to rodinal.....

Happy Friday!!!
perfesserkev

Post by perfesserkev »

Hi Neal,

I just dug up my old notes and have a time of 6min for ISO 1000 @ 70°F with intermittent agitation. I haven't run Tri-X in Acufine in a couple decades -- used it to hit 1600 or 3200 when necessary.

You might try that time at 800 for a better neg. My task was to get highest speed possible, shadow detail be damned. I also don't know ho today's Tri-x will react to it. That was the chunky old stuff.
"You compose, you decompose." -- Ernst Haas
neal.niemiec

Post by neal.niemiec »

Thanks Kevin!
darkroommike

Re: Acufine / Tri-x - 1 stop push dev time?

Post by darkroommike »

I'm pretty sure Acufine is still Acufine but Tri-X (now 400TX) is not the same stuff we were pushing 20-30 years ago, Tri-X 400 and is surely not the stuff I was using in the late 70's Tri-X 5063. The Acufine data sheet says rate new Tri-X at EI 1000, calls for 5 minutes (that's only a 1/3 stop off). I would not use a shorter time.

I actually prefer Acu-1 one shot for consistent results.