What do you want in your darkroom?

Use this area to discuss anything to do with photography, including your latest project or anything you might be involved with.
darkroommike

Post by darkroommike »

Not a darkroom equipment wanted ad! Just wondering what all of you would add to your darkroom that you don't already have.
JB Harlin

Post by JB Harlin »

darkroommike wrote: Not a darkroom equipment wanted ad! Just wondering what all of you would add to your darkroom that you don't already have.

I would like another 1,000sq/ft of space and a 50ft sink! :)
SPPhoto

Post by SPPhoto »

1. More space

2. Running water

3. Archival print washer

:)
Stephen Prunier Photography
sanchell

Post by sanchell »

When I was starting out I knew a photographer, Dick (don't remember his last name), that had a darkroom in a closet. He sat on a rotating stool turning back and forth between the enlarger on the left and the stacking tray rack on the right. He had a ventilation fan high on the wall pushing fresh air in, and a passive vent at floor level so that the fumes would flow from sink level, down and out. He used a single Kodak bullet safelight aimed at the ceiling. He printed happily for hours at a time - the one limitation being that 11x14 was the largest print he could make. In the 1970s that was not considered a limitation - 16x20 and larger were considered an anomaly.

In the '80s I met a world-class photographer, direct student of Ansel, in Monterey, Calif. He had a beautiful, well equipped darkroom that was so large he spent most of his time walking from the enlarger to the sink. He was exhausted after a few hours printing.
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell
JB Harlin

Post by JB Harlin »

sanchell wrote: When I was starting out I knew a photographer, Dick (don't remember his last name), that had a darkroom in a closet. He sat on a rotating stool turning back and forth between the enlarger on the left and the stacking tray rack on the right. He had a ventilation fan high on the wall pushing fresh air in, and a passive vent at floor level so that the fumes would flow from sink level, down and out. He used a single Kodak bullet safelight aimed at the ceiling. He printed happily for hours at a time - the one limitation being that 11x14 was the largest print he could make. In the 1970s that was not considered a limitation - 16x20 and larger were considered an anomaly.

In the '80s I met a world-class photographer, direct student of Ansel, in Monterey, Calif. He had a beautiful, well equipped darkroom that was so large he spent most of his time walking from the enlarger to the sink. He was exhausted after a few hours printing.

Been there, done that. My first darkroom was in a small apartment closet. I moved my clothes to a garment rack behind the bedroom door.

I had just enough room for one of those no-name 35mm enlargers and 4 8x10 trays on a makeshift table made of plywood. I could wedge myself in there and close the door. Sitting on an old drum throne, I would expose the paper, run it through the trays, then into the 4th tray and the haul it to the kitchen and wash in the sink. We all started somewhere. . . :)