Organization of exposed negatives on trips

Use this area to discuss anything to do with photography, including your latest project or anything you might be involved with.
robert.frase

Post by robert.frase »

For the most part, I've taken photos locally and developed them soon after returning home. I'm curious how others handle their negatives after exposure when keeping them in the film holders is not an option due to reloading for new exposures. I've considered using spare film boxes but was concerned about scratches from movement while driving out of state (ie: sand/dust inadvertently caught between the negatives) When taking photos locally, I just labeled the holder (N, N+1, etc) but that won't work over the course of 10 days. Suggestions for logging and organizing ?
JB Harlin

Post by JB Harlin »

Hi Robert. . . We are just cleaning up film from our last road trip, 30 days is the time we are usually out. We will bring back over 100 8x10's and 4x10's. . . maybe two dozen 11x14 and 8x20 to process. We carry empty film boxes to unload into. The boxes are labeled for N, N+ as you say. Be meticulously clean when handling film. We have never had a problem with damaged film. Be sure to keep the card stock and inner envelope the film originally came in and use them when you put exposed film back into the box. We also carry a lot of large rubber bands. Some are large hair bands for the bigger boxes. Any film box, either exposed or unexposed that has film inside gets a couple of bands around to keep it closed and designate film inside.

So far as logging, we each carry a small voice recorder used to record our field notes. These notes are transcribed into a database we carry on a laptop computer every evening. From these notes we can sort exposed film holders when it comes time to reload using the holder number, placing the film into the appropriate box for development. . . N, N+, etc. Been doing this for years and have never had any problems. Here is more from our BLOG. . .

http://jbhphoto.com/blog/2010/10/25/tra ... with-film/

http://jbhphoto.com/blog/2010/08/09/keeping-notes/

Hope this helps!
robert.frase

Post by robert.frase »

Thanks JB it does help a lot. I also carry bags of rubber bands to keep the boxes of exposed negatives closed but also use them to keep the film slides closed during transport. And I also was reusing the negative envelope that they came in to make sure that they were kept light tight.

I was curious also about the small vacuum you carry. I had searched a few months ago but haven't been able to find one that wasn't meant for a home.
JB Harlin

Post by JB Harlin »

robert.frase wrote: I was curious also about the small vacuum you carry. I had searched a few months ago but haven't been able to find one that wasn't meant for a home.

What you are looking for is a 3M SV-497AJM Service Vacuum. I first saw these years ago carried by most copy machine repairman. They are small, powerful commercial units and they make a filter specifically for toner. They are expensive but well built. The one we have came from eBay, many years ago. The only problem we have had was replacing a worn out hose. You will find them new on Amazon. Here is more info from our BLOG. . .

http://jbhphoto.com/blog/2010/07/11/dus ... tter-word/
robert.frase

Post by robert.frase »

Found them! Also found used ones on eBay.

Thank you!
jilltyree740

Post by jilltyree740 »

Thanks you so much for this thread this is very good for me
sms service | SMS Marketing Applications | bulk sms service