overwashing fiber based silver gelatin prints

Share your black and white print making knowledge or ask for advice.

Moderator: Black & White Moderators

jochem

Post by jochem »

How long can I leave fiber based silver gelatin prints in the wash tray? Is there a danger of "overwashing" if left in water too long?
SPPhoto

Post by SPPhoto »

Usually, the paper manufacturer will give their suggested wash times. If your talking an hour or two I don't think there would be any problems. If the prints aren't separated, and are just stacked on top off each other, I would try and rotate them a couple times. Your trying to purge all the bad chemicals out of the paper.
Stephen Prunier Photography
sanchell

Post by sanchell »

SPPhoto is correct. For you to know, the problem with overwashing is not damage to the image per say, it is weakening the paper fibers. Although photo paper is tightly woven, any paper can break down if left in water too long. In my opinion, two hours is absolutely the limit, with one hour or less being preferable.

Do take note of SPPhotos warning, keep the papers seperated. If you don't have an archival washer, shuffle them no less than once every five minutes, and DO NOT overfill the tray. The more prints in the tray the more often you need to shuffle.

And finally never ever place the face of a print (silver side) against the back of a print. Always stack them in the tray back-to-back (non-silver paper base) and face to face (silver coated side to silver coated side). This is of extreme importance to proper washing.
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell